Saturday, July 21, 2007

Govinda and the General Theory of Relativity

"Govinda ! I don't like Govinda.". Said my French instructor. And she asked many in that "high-profile" class of students. Many said that they don't like Govinda movies. Where as I was dying to watch "Partner", the latest Govinda-Salman Khan starer, directed by David Dhavan, here was a class of people, who, as a rule, seemed to dislike Govinda.

"Blood Diamnod is the movie that I'm going to watch", said a girl. I watched "Blood Diamond" long time back. It's an excellent movie. Thought-provoking, hard-hitting and definitely entertaining. A kind of film liked by many. But Govinda's a different stuff, clearly. I don't know why people go to movies, but I go for entertainment. The work that I do requires me to think, and ponder over, design and come up with complex solutions. One of the most mentally-intensive work. And I am in no mood for doing the same through the movie that I go on weekend. When in a theatre, I want to sit back, relax and get entertained. And if the movie in question provides me that, I'm all for it. And Govinda seems more or less like a guarantee that I'll get all this.

They say Govinda flicks are no-brainers. Yes they are. But if you are so desperate to excercise your brain, solve Sudoku. Why are you going for a movie. Govinda, in the past has been tagged as "Entertainer No. 1" by a certain section of media, and it's this job of his that he does extremely well. I mean, movies are supposed to be fun. They are supposed to entertain. That's the expectation that I have from a movie. If all a movie has to display is differential equations of 42nd degree with the general theory of relativity thrown in, then I don't call it a movie. Its a documentary. And I'm not sure how many of those terming Govind flicks as "no-brainer" understood what I just said.

I'm no big Govinda-fan but Govinda's sense of timing is the best in the industry. In comedy, timing is all that matters. Over the years I've seen numerous hindi films, and among the current lot, Akshay Kumar and Paresh Rawal are the closest that come to Govinda in terms of comedy. Nobody can even think of touching Govind's style and sense of comic-timing.

I am actually looking forward to watching "Partner" tomorrow.

This was not a review. That's "coming soon".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i completely agree...movies are meant to be fun and in case someone expects real brainstorming and thought provoking topic...i guess they better try out some algebra classes den d movie theatres

ani said...

:) each to his own! personally i like parallel cinema more...

Aks said...

@ Pallavi
Good one, bachchi

@ Ani
Arrey to maine kab kaha ki parallel cinema is not good.
I've seen a lot of such stuff. And some, I really liked. "Hazaro Khwahishein Aisi" was awesum...
But yaar, jahan due hai, wahaan to credit de do kam-se-kam

[:D]

Ratings by outbrain